Seagulls are everywhere along the Sarasota Florida cost. I snapped this picture while taking a walk out on the Tony Sparito Pier. The two gulls were just hanging out on the light post. I could have a portfolio of thousands of images of these seabirds. There’s nothing really special about this image. There’s no “WOW” factor, but there’s still a story to be told.
These birds are monogamous. When they find a mate, they stay together for life. I watched these two seagulls for a while. Wherever one would go the other one followed.
Interesting Facts About Seagulls
- It’s difficult for humans to tell the difference between males and females in some species of seagulls. The birds actually have specialized vision that allows them to see colors that humans can’t in order to be able to distinguish males from females.
- Seagulls can lay one to three eggs. These eggs are generally brown to olive green in coloration. It takes about twenty five days for the incubation period to complete. Male seagulls assist in feeding the chicks.
- These seabirds can actually drink salt water. They have been created with a special filtering system that removes excess salt from their bodies.
- Seagulls tend to live in small or larger groups of birds that can reach as many as two thousand.
Facts About This Image:
- Camera used was a Nikon Coolpix P600
- Photo was taken on April 11, 2016
- Location pic was taken was on the Tony Sparito Pier in Sarasota, Florida
- Photograph was color enhanced through adding contrasts to cause the birds beaks to appear more vibrant. Also there were small white dots added to the eyes.